Monday, November 19, 2012

the world is what you make it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSZa00-3eM

Earlier I posted a blog on the poem Gubbinal in which I pointed out the what I understood to be the true essence on the short poem, focusing on the line of "It is just as you say. Have it your way. Rather than the lines "The world is ugly, and people are sad." and that fitting with Steven's lucrition ideals, the meaning of this poem is that the world is what you say it is and that the fact the world is ugly is because people make it that way and thus they are sad. so when I cam across this video, this poem immediately came to mind. the Kiwi in the video being a flightless bird is not satisfied with its lot in life, but rather than seeing that as the poem suggest as an ugly world, it decides to have it his way. he creates a world where he can fly, through the toil of hauling countless trees up that unimaginably high mountain. the kiwi is also demonstrating acceptance of the other lucrtion ideal of not fearing death. it creates for itself this world where it can experience the joy of flight, but this pursuit will certainly result in its untimely demise. but that does not stop it, it runs at that cliff head on.

When I first found this video, it was not placed to this song, Mad world, and it didn't seem right, but this song is perfect. the lyrics of the song rather than explain where the kiwi is at, it explains where it is coming from. the song explains a world full of grey, same, and sad; where people wake everyday to a life that is the same day after day and a life that is truly unlived. It is from this world that we find the kiwi, simply fed up with this life, and reaching for a different on, a better one. to do what the woman whos song is beautiful because she was its creator.

I think that this video will change my life. as inconsequential as it seems being a simple cartoon, in conjunction with this class it has become something more to me. I want to be this kiwi, to show the bravery to not simply except this world, but to make it what I want to to be. I want to have a mind of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment